I’ve been coming across some delicious-looking paleo burger recipes. like the Spinach-Chicken Burgers from Cardamom Mom and the Paleo Cajun Burgers from Kohler Created. So I had a craving. And out of this craving, I threw together this bun-less pork burger.
The Cuban burger recipes I looked up include mayonnaise, swiss, and ham. This version substitutes with avocado and prosciutto, which gives it the creamy texture. I also went for 100% ground pork instead of a pork and beef mixture. It’s not quite warm enough for the grill yet, so I pan-fried these burgers. I think they’d be even more delicious on the grill this summer!
Cuban-inspired Paleo Burger
Makes 9 servings
Part 1: Patties
These patties use very finely diced up mushrooms instead of bread crumbs to help give these patties some substance while still keeping the burger lighter than a pack of meat.
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TB coconut oil
- Finely dice the yellow onion and mushrooms together. I used a food processor for this and it was exceedingly helpful.
- Put the meat in a large bowl, and add the onion-mushroom mixture, eggs, garlic, pepper, paprika, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Hand-make 9 patties. (My hands ended up making 9 patties, but bigger hands may be able to make an even 8. This recipe accounts for 9.)
- Heat coconut oil in a large flat fry pan over medium heat.
- Cook each patty 8 minutes on each side or until desired done-ness.
- While waiting for the patties to cook, continue to part 2 to prep plating and topping.
Part 2: Plating and Topping
- 9 leaves of lettuce
- 9 slices of prosciutto (about 1/2 ounce each)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Place finished burger in the middle of a single leaf of lettuce.
- Top with a slice of prosciutto folded over.
- Top each with an equal amount slices of avocado.
- Top each with an equal amount slices of red onion.
- I suggest wrapping the lettuce around the burger as you eat. Or eat it however you like! Enjoy it.
Patty only (1 patty)
Patty + Topping
I’m going to make this again really soon. It was really good. Really good. I apologize for the slightly blurry picture; apparently my husband and I were rushing to have dinner because it looked so good, and my pictures suffered for it!
I haven’t had a chance to run this through my micro-nutrient and vitamin calculator, but if there’s any interest I add an addendum to this recipe.