I was feeling a bit under the weather, and soup seemed to be exactly what I needed. I had some leftover ham and sweet potatoes and other veggies laying around. I was tempted to eat both servings in one helping!
I realize that yams are different than sweet potatoes, but I couldn’t resist using it as its colloquial term because, well, rhyming. Oh, and did I mention that it’s paleo?
Creamy Ham and Yam Soup
Paleo. Gluten-free. Dairy-free. Egg-free.
Serves two (2.25 cup serving)
- 1 cup diced, cooked ham
- 1 cups sweet potatoes (about 1 medium sweet potato)
- 1 cups beef broth
- 1.5 cups water
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced (about 1 medium stalk)
- 1/2 TB coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Heat coconut oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and celery. Stir until until softened.
- Add ham, sweet potatoes, broth, water thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat until boiling, then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the coconut milk and serve!
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Omega 3||.094 g|
|Omega 6||1.1 g|
|Ascorbic Acid||19 mg|
|Vitamin E||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin K/Potassium||755 mg|
* I use online calculators for calories, fat, carbs, protein, fiber, and vitamins/nutrients/minerals, so these are an estimation to the best of my ability.