Directions updated: April 14, 2016
37” x 6”
Buttonhole is 6” long and starts at 28”
- Size 15 knitting needles
- 2-3 skeins super bulky yarn (Shown: North America Cobbles in Tetra Teal)
Build body of scarf
- Cast on 15 stitches.
- *Knit 1, Purl 1. Work from * ending with K1. Width should be 6”. Repeat until length is 28”.
Build Side A of buttonhole (7 stitches)
- *Knit 1, Purl 1. Work from * 3 more times. Put these 8 stitches on stitch holder (these will start Side B). Continue this row with *Knit 1, Purl 1, ending with K1 to work Side A.
- *K1, P1. Work from * ending with K1 (stitch count = 7). Repeat these rows for 5”. Total length of scarf so far should be 34”.
- Put these 7 on stitch holder; this is Side A. Cut the yarn from Side A to create a tail.
Build Side B of buttonhole (8 stitches)
- Put your held stitches for Side B on your working needles.
- *K1, P1. Work from * 3 more times.
- Repeat last row for length of 5”; total length of scarf so far should be 34”.
- *K1, P1. Work from * until the end (15 stitches), ending on P1.
- Work above row for another 4” (stitch count = 15). Total length of scarf = 37”.
- Bind off and weave in ends.